“The ordinary experiences of our teaching days are the essence of our practice. Using a guide to reflect
on these experiences is an entry to improving our teaching” (Hole and McEntee). Selecting one
implemented goal from EDUX 9922 and serving as a member of a small online PLC discussion group,
participants in this class will step through a guided reflection process to examine and share their
implementation experiences. Using on-line video conferencing technology, the PLC will conclude by
participating in a coaching conversation facilitated by the course instructor that will provide a perfect
face-to-face platform for self-reflection, idea sharing, and a determination about the impact on their
future professional practice.
By the end of the course, the participant will:
➢ Engage in a professional learning community.
➢ Reflect on the implementation of a goal from EDUX 9922.
➢ Participate in the Guided Reflection Protocol process for individual and shared reflection.
➢ Demonstrate what was learned through a coaching conversation.
➢ Refine teaching practice based on the Guided Reflection Protocol experiences.
Course Relation to Standards
This course aligns with the standards for the National Board for Professional Teaching:
● Teachers are committed to students and their learning.
● Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
● Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
● Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
● Teachers are members of learning communities.
EDUX 9923 Syllabus & Rubric 7.14.22
Course Structure and Submitting Coursework
● EDUX 9922 is a prerequisite to this class.
● This is a 6-8 week course where you will analyze, evaluate, reflect, and refine the strategies you are
executing in your classroom or school role based on a goal from EDUX 9922 via an online
discussion board forum with a professional learning community and the course instructor.
● The Protocol assignment in Part 5 is submitted via email to the course instructor.
● There will be a culminating reflective coaching conversation via an online video conference site with
the PLC and set up by the course instructor. Participants need access to technology to participate in
online discussion boards and video conferencing.
Kathy SmithB.A., M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction
Secondary Educator 25+ years; Post-Secondary Educator 10+ years.
Passionate champion of education transformation thru creative teaching and personalized learning.
Kathy strives to build a positive relationship with her students and feels privileged to be a "teacher of teachers."
When she's not teaching, Kathy enjoys reading, travelling, and above all, her four grandchildren.