Welcome to EDUO 9904 Understanding Your Role. This class was created as part of a three course series entitled Becoming a More Effective Teacher Association/Union Representative. The three courses in this series are:
This series is designed to help Association/Union representatives develop the skills needed to become an effective leader in their assigned role. The content learned in this series, Becoming a More Effective Teacher Association/Union Representative, will help representatives understand their role, become a support for teachers in their building, and discover ways to work in partnership with their school, district and the community.
There is no prerequisite for these classes, however, all three provide a well-rounded foundation of how to become a more effective Teacher Association/Union Representative.
In this course participants will have an opportunity to:
1. Understand their role as a Teacher Association/Union Representative.
2. Attend Teacher Association/Union Representative meetings for collaboration and discussion of relevant topics related to their role.
3. Read and understand the Collective Bargaining Agreement/Teacher Contract.
4. Read articles related to their role as Teacher Association/Union Representatives & The Collective Bargaining Agreement.
5. Write a 3-4 page reflection of your year as a Teacher Association/Union Representative.
Course assignments will consist of articles, written responses to questions, and written reflections.
Examples of assignments for this class are:
• Reflect on what you know about your role as a Teacher Association/Union Representative.
• Record information and reflect on your district Teacher Association/Union Representative meetings.
• Read and reflect on your district’s Collective Bargaining Agreement or Teacher’s Contract.
• Review various articles related to your role as a Teacher Association/Union Representative.
• Reflect on your year as a Teacher Association/Union Representative.
B.S., M.Ed., Admin; Certificate in Equity & Urban Education
38 years in K-12 and post-secondary education, AVID teacher, Path Specialist, Multicultural Specialist.
AVID staff developer, Equity trainer, REACH facilitator, Equity/TitleIX/Section 504 Compliance, Officer.
My goal is to support teachers as they strive to become more culturally responsive in order to meet the diverse needs of their students.
I enjoy writing, painting, ATV’ing, camping, fishing, and other outdoor activities.
Instructors: Kathy Vining, Marlene Grueber