Maker Spaces promote learning through tinkering and creating and are as unique and diverse as the learners themselves. A mixture of arts and crafts, science, and technology with creativity, innovation and play, they are fast becoming a critical part of every school, especially school libraries.
In this course, participants will have the opportunity to:
- gain a better awareness and understanding of the importance of integrating creativity and innovation in education
- gain a better awareness and understanding of the process and challenges of designing and implementing a Maker Space
- implement a Maker Space in their school
Course Relation to CCS or other Professional Standards
Maker Spaces by their very diverse and creative construct are designed to encourage unexpected outcomes. They can also be designed to include curricular activities that are specifically guided by and align with the following standards:
- critical thinking
- problem identification
- effective communication of ideas
- evaluation and refinement of creative ideas
- empowered learner
- digital citizen
- knowledge constructor
- innovative designer
- computational thinker
- creative communicator
- global collaborator
Secondary Educator 25+ years; Post-Secondary Educator 10+ years.
Passionate champion of education transformation thru creative teaching and personalized learning.
Kathy strives to build a positive relationship with her students and feels privileged to be a "teacher of teachers."
When she's not teaching, Kathy enjoys reading, travelling, and above all, her four grandchildren.