The National Register of Historic Places lists sites throughout the country that have been deemed important enough to preserve. In this course teachers will visit and study local historical sites in order to bring history alive and make learning more meaningful for students at any grade level. After experiencing the unique educational programs that these historic sites provide, the teacher will determine how to bring this newly added knowledge into the classroom.
- visit four sites from the Nation Register of Historic Places
- reflect on why the sites are on the register
- research information about the sites before visiting
- obtain information from the visits and the research to determine if:
- A. the sites are worthy of a student field trip
- B. classroom lessons can be developed from the experience
- evaluate the experience as to its relevance for an educator