Teachers will have the opportunity to meet artists and to view their works of art during ArtHop, a Fresno community event that occurs every 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month, where art galleries, museums, and studios feature the work of local artists and are open to the public at no charge. While attending ArtHop, participants in this class will have the opportunity to interview artists about their personal journey in becoming an artist. Teachers will end this class with a new appreciation for the art culture in our community, and will have gained some insight on developing artistic talent in the classroom.
- Teachers will acquaint themselves with the art scene in the community by meeting the artists who create art in their studios for all to enjoy during the monthly ArtHop events.
- By participating in ArtHop and interviewing artists, teachers will gain knowledge of how working artists achieved their career goals. This information is helpful in supporting the future artists in the classroom.
- Teachers will observe and learn about numerous styles of art expressions which can then be incorporated into various classroom projects.
- Teachers will be inspired to create and/or display art in the classroom for their students to enjoy.
- Teachers will independently attend two or more of the Fresno ArtHop events, a program of the Fresno Arts Council whose mission is to “enrich people’s lives through the arts.” The ArtHop program is a monthly event featuring art exhibits in over sixty art venues in Fresno County. Art venues include galleries/artist studios, museums, retail outlets, and public spaces that the public could visit for free on the first and third Thursdays from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m.
- Teachers will interview two or more artists in their studio about their personal journey in becoming a working artist.
- Teachers can also ride the ArtHop trolley for a one hour tour that leaves from the Water Tower at O and Fresno Street starting at 6:00 p.m. Free parking is available from 6:00-8:30 p.m. The cost is $1.00. There is also art displayed in the Fresno Water Tower to view. For more information go to www.artbyhandgallery.com.
- A lesson plan for an art activity for students at your grade level will be submitted. Note: Photos of the class art are always appreciated.