This class will provide teachers with the opportunity to learn about educational resources available to teachers and their students at a nearby planetarium. After exploring the basic principles of physics and astronomy by participating in hands-on interactive exhibits and stargazing through telescopes, the teacher will be able to see how the experiences can be transformed into classroom learning activities.
1. Visit a planetarium museum, a science or space museum (or a museum that has a science or space section) and an observatory.
2. Research information about each site before visiting.
3. Conduct further research after each site visit.
4. Acquire information through research about astronomy.
5. Acquire information from the visits and the research to determine if:
a. the sites are worthy of a student field trip
b. classroom lessons can be developed from the experience.
6. evaluate the experience as to its relevance for an educator.