Welcome to EDUO 9760. This class was created as part of a seven course series entitled Teaching Life’s Essentials. The other courses in the series are:
Isn’t it true that great teachers are born not made? We say “not at all”. With the guidance of the courses in this series, you can take your teaching to a new level; one that brings the highest degree of satisfaction to yourself and your students. Great teachers are remembered not for the knowledge they impart but for the way they encourage and lift their students’ achievement, not just in a subject, but in the important skills of living a fulfilling life. These skills of happiness, of inspiration, compassion, curiosity and resilience are essential for both the learner and the teacher. This course will bring research to inform along with techniques and activities to imbue your delivery of required curriculum with the essence of greatness-both yours and your students’.
Through website resources and course assignments the teacher will become aware of how a fixed mindset hinders the growth of many students and how a growth mindset can aid students in acquiring the skill of perserverance.
To help teachers create a growth mindset classroom Dominican University of California – Teaching Life’s Essentials – Growth Mindset EDUO 9760
The teacher will:
1. Read and study given website resources.
2. Understand how praise can be a step toward a fixed mindset.
3. Strive to develop a growth mindset classroom that will influence the student’s learning habits.
4. Become aware of the influence of Carol Dweck upon educational thinking.
5. Communicate with other class participants about the importance of compassion.
Get Syllabus Questions?
Instructor: Kathy Vining