Welcome to EDUO9735 Yours, Mine and Ours. This class was created as part of a three course series entitled The Role of Culture & Equity in the Classroom. The three courses in this series are:
- EDUO 9735 The Role of Culture & Equity in the Classroom – Yours, Mine, and Ours
- EDUO 9736 The Role of Culture & Equity in the Classroom – Creating an Inclusive Classroom Environment
- EDUO 9737 The Role Culture & Equity in the Classroom- Creating Culturally Responsive Lesson Plans
This series is designed to help teachers develop the tools needed to create a Culturally Responsive Environment for all students. When a student feels different or left out in his or her classroom, it significantly reduces that student’s ability and desire to learn. The content learned in this series, The Role of Culture & Equity in the Classroom, will teach you how to connect with your students and create an inclusive classroom environment that will open the door to learning for every child you work with.
Although Yours, Mine and Ours, is NOT a prerequisite for the other two courses, it does provide a foundation for them. The book titled, How to Teach Students Who Don’t Look Like You, Second Edition, by Bonnie M.Davis, will be used for all three classes. This book is available for purchase at www.Amazon.com
In this course participants will have an opportunity to:
- Understand your own culture.
- Understand how your culture creates the lens through which you see the world and others.
- Discover how to acquire an understanding of another person’s culture.
- Recognize Stereotypes, Prejudice and Discrimination.
- Help students identify and understand their own culture
Course assignments will consist of articles, videos, written responses to questions, activities and posting to the class forum. Examples of assignments for this class are:
- Take notes on How to Teach Students Who Don’t Look Like You and assigned articles.
- Create a Culture Board
- Write an I Am From poem with a reflection
- Conduct an interview with someone different from you and write a biography.
- Create an activity to help students discover their own culture.
38 years in K-12 and post-secondary education, AVID teacher, Path Specialist, Multicultural Specialist. AVID staff developer, Equity trainer, REACH facilitator, Equity/TitleIX/Section 504 Compliance, Officer. My goal is to support teachers as they strive to become more culturally responsive in order to meet the diverse needs of their students. I enjoy writing, painting, ATV’ing, camping, fishing, and other outdoor activities.