Developing athletic skills through effective planning is the focus of this class. Three learning stages and seven practice principles will be explored in the class as well as a positive approach in correcting errors.
Successful Coaching-4th Edition by Rainer Martens, Human Kinetics; 4 edition (February 17, 2012)
By the end of this course, the participants will have had the opportunity to:
- Develop successful daily, weekly and season plans.
- Examine the three stages of learning.
- Understand the difference between coaching to learn and coaching to perform.
- Understand and use the four steps in teaching a sport skill.
- Design practice sessions based on the seven practice principles recommended in the text.
- Understand and be able to use the positive approach in correcting errors during both practice sessions and games.
California teaching credentials: English, Health, Physical Education.
High School Teacher 30 years - English 11 years, Health Education 5 years, Physical Education 17 years.
Distinguished Teacher Award: Rancho Bernardo HS, Granada HS, Amador Valley HS.
High School Baseball Coach 30 years: Rancho Bernardo, Granada, Amador Valley, San Ramon Valley. Multiple League and CIF Championships.
Youth Baseball Coach 10 years: Three Babe Ruth World Series Championships.
Baseball Camps 30 years: Owner, Coordinator, Instructor.
College Baseball Coach 2 years: Pitching coach Menlo College, San Diego City College.
Division 1 Baseball Player 4 years: University of San Diego.
“I am passionate about health, fitness and lifelong learning. I teach because everyone, especially teenagers, need support and guidance in their physical, emotional and social wellness. I am driven to leave a positive impact on every person I meet.”
Personal: Married, two children, dog, snake. Family is extremely important.
Interests: Mountains, Beach, Travel, Fishing, Hiking, Skiing, Fitness, Photography, Reading and Writing.