We are what we eat. If this a true statement, how big a role does nutrition play in the performances of athletes? This class will expose coaches/teachers to some of the facts and myths of how nutrition helps or hinders how athletes perform. Information concerning nutrition will be presented that can help the student/athlete perform at their natural ability. Participants will be required to develop a performance based eating program for their specific sport.
Required Text: Successful Coaching-4th Edition by Rainer Martens, Human Kinetics; (February
By the end of this course, participants will have had the opportunity to examine a style of teaching/coaching
- enable them to share with their student/athletes what a young, growing person should eat.
- allow them to intelligently discuss eating disorders.
- give them knowledge on how to keep athletes hydrated and avoid heat illnesses.
- provide them with the role nutritional supplements play in the student/ athlete’s diet.
- Help them understand how carbohydrates, fat and proteins nourish the body.
- provide the information for how much a young person should eat for maintaining, losing and gaining weight.
- provide a guide to eating before, during and after participation in a strenuous activity.
California teaching credentials: English, Health, Physical Education.
High School Teacher 30 years - English 11 years, Health Education 5 years, Physical Education 17 years.
Distinguished Teacher Award: Rancho Bernardo HS, Granada HS, Amador Valley HS.
High School Baseball Coach 30 years: Rancho Bernardo, Granada, Amador Valley, San Ramon Valley. Multiple League and CIF Championships.
Youth Baseball Coach 10 years: Three Babe Ruth World Series Championships.
Baseball Camps 30 years: Owner, Coordinator, Instructor.
College Baseball Coach 2 years: Pitching coach Menlo College, San Diego City College.
Division 1 Baseball Player 4 years: University of San Diego.
“I am passionate about health, fitness and lifelong learning. I teach because everyone, especially teenagers, need support and guidance in their physical, emotional and social wellness. I am driven to leave a positive impact on every person I meet.”
Personal: Married, two children, dog, snake. Family is extremely important.
Interests: Mountains, Beach, Travel, Fishing, Hiking, Skiing, Fitness, Photography, Reading and Writing.