This class will explore all kinds of communications – effective and ineffective, positive, negative, verbal and non-verbal with the goal of helping the teacher/coach be an effective communicator. Good listening skills will be a main concern.
Required Text: Successful Coaching-4th Edition by Rainer Martens, Human Kinetics; 4 edition (February 17, 2012)
By the end of the course, the participants will understand:
- Six Reasons for Ineffective Communication.
- Eight Reasons for Negative Communication Techniques.
- How to Build Credibility with his/her Athletes.
- The Importance of Good Listening Skills.
- Concepts and Skills Involved in Non-Verbal Communication.
- Eleven Principles of Effective Reinforcement.
Taught and coached 7-9 Jr. High students for five years. Taught mathematics and physical education at the High School level for 35 years. Had experience as a Department Head in physical education. Helped to develop a state granted voluntary integration program. Richard’s personal interests are golf and helping others succeed.