Coaches need to understand the reasons “why you coach” as well as the attributes of a “good coach”. The students will be required to compare and contrast a wide variety of coaching styles in developing their own coaching philosophy.
Required Text: Successful Coaching-4th Edition by Rainer Martens, Human Kinetics; 4 edition
(February 17, 2012)
By the end of the course, the participants will have had the opportunity to:
- examine and develop his/her own philosophy of coaching.
- understand his/her personal reasons for coaching.
- understand the importance of the “Bill of Rights for Young Athletes.”
- examining and understand the co-operative style of coaching.
- understand the importance of the three main attributes of successful coaches.
Taught and coached 7-9 Jr. High students for five years.
Taught mathematics and physical education at the High School level for 35 years.
Had experience as a Department Head in physical education.
Helped to develop a state granted voluntary integration program.
Richard’s personal interests are golf and helping others succeed.