All coaches want their student/athletes to see themselves as winners throughout their lives regardless of their sports performances. This class will help the teacher/coach focus on that goal.
Required Text: Successful Coaching-4th Edition by Rainer Martens, Human Kinetics; 4 edition
(February 17, 2012)
By the end of this course, the participants will have had the opportunity to examine a style of coaching that:
- Places an athlete’s well-being above winning events or games.
- Emphasizes the development of the student athlete into a mentally and physically healthy adult.
- Assists individual athletes in setting personal goals for their sports as well as rewarding life goals.
- Develops a rewards system for the athlete that is both extrinsic and intrinsic.
- Creates a participation flow, for both starters and substitutes that enhances the athlete’s enthusiasm for the sport.
- Promotes the change from thinking as a “loser” to thinking as a “winner”.
California teaching credentials: English, Health, Physical Education.
High School Teacher 30 years - English 11 years, Health Education 5 years, Physical Education 17 years.
Distinguished Teacher Award: Rancho Bernardo HS, Granada HS, Amador Valley HS.
High School Baseball Coach 30 years: Rancho Bernardo, Granada, Amador Valley, San Ramon Valley. Multiple League and CIF Championships.
Youth Baseball Coach 10 years: Three Babe Ruth World Series Championships.
Baseball Camps 30 years: Owner, Coordinator, Instructor.
College Baseball Coach 2 years: Pitching coach Menlo College, San Diego City College.
Division 1 Baseball Player 4 years: University of San Diego.
“I am passionate about health, fitness and lifelong learning. I teach because everyone, especially teenagers, need support and guidance in their physical, emotional and social wellness. I am driven to leave a positive impact on every person I meet.”
Personal: Married, two children, dog, snake. Family is extremely important.
Interests: Mountains, Beach, Travel, Fishing, Hiking, Skiing, Fitness, Photography, Reading and Writing.