Class participants will learn how to detect the signs of drug use and will encourage all of their student/athletes to follow a drug fee lifestyle. If a student is suspected of using drugs, the teacher/coach can use the problem solving techniques presented in this class to help the student.
Successful Coaching-4th Edition by Rainer Martens, Human Kinetics; February 17, 2012)
By the end of this course, participants will have had examined a style of teaching/coaching that:
- Facilitates the detection of the signs of substance abuse among young student/athletes.
- Encourages developing and enforcing a drug-free participation policy.
- Uses knowledge about drugs and drug abuse to help student/athletes when a problem arises.
- Enables them to provide preventive education about substance abuse.
- Encourages them to counsel their student/athletes about drug abuse and, when necessary, help them to obtain professional help.
- Helps them feel more comfortable in dealing with the parents of a student with drug problems.
California teaching credentials: English, Health, Physical Education.
High School Teacher 30 years - English 11 years, Health Education 5 years, Physical Education 17 years.
Distinguished Teacher Award: Rancho Bernardo HS, Granada HS, Amador Valley HS.
High School Baseball Coach 30 years: Rancho Bernardo, Granada, Amador Valley, San Ramon Valley. Multiple League and CIF Championships.
Youth Baseball Coach 10 years: Three Babe Ruth World Series Championships.
Baseball Camps 30 years: Owner, Coordinator, Instructor.
College Baseball Coach 2 years: Pitching coach Menlo College, San Diego City College.
Division 1 Baseball Player 4 years: University of San Diego.
“I am passionate about health, fitness and lifelong learning. I teach because everyone, especially teenagers, need support and guidance in their physical, emotional and social wellness. I am driven to leave a positive impact on every person I meet.”
Personal: Married, two children, dog, snake. Family is extremely important.
Interests: Mountains, Beach, Travel, Fishing, Hiking, Skiing, Fitness, Photography, Reading and Writing.