Class participants will learn how to detect the signs of drug use and will encourage all of their student/athletes to follow a drug fee lifestyle. If a student is suspected of using drugs, the teacher/coach can use the problem solving techniques presented in this class to help the student.
Successful Coaching-4th Edition by Rainer Martens, Human Kinetics; February 17, 2012)
By the end of this course, participants will have had examined a style of teaching/coaching that:
- Facilitates the detection of the signs of substance abuse among young student/athletes.
- Encourages developing and enforcing a drug-free participation policy.
- Uses knowledge about drugs and drug abuse to help student/athletes when a problem arises.
- Enables them to provide preventive education about substance abuse.
- Encourages them to counsel their student/athletes about drug abuse and, when necessary, help them to obtain professional help.
- Helps them feel more comfortable in dealing with the parents of a student with drug problems.
Taught and coached 7-9 Jr. High students for five years. Taught mathematics and physical education at the High School level for 35 years. Had experience as a Department Head in physical education. Helped to develop a state granted voluntary integration program. Richard’s personal interests are golf and helping others succeed.