This course is one of a four-course series entitled Anyone Can Learn Math, which is designed to help teachers make math accessible to all students. The other three courses in the series are:
- EDUO 9522: Math Made Easy
- EDUO 9521: Stress Free Math
- EDUO 9523: Learning Math in Groups
Although Math Made Easy is NOT a prerequisite for the other three courses, it does provide a foundation for them. Math Made Easy, Learning Math in Groups, and Stress Free Math all require one book entitled Math for Humans by Mark Wahl. The fourth class, Learning Math through Writing, requires a separate book entitled Writing in Math Class by Marilyn Burns.
There are many students that learn best while utilizing language. Writing is an integral part of utilizing language and infusing writing into your math curriculum will help all students truly learn the concepts. It should also be noted that writing across the curriculum is an important aspect of the Common Core State Standards. The content learned in Learn Math Through Writing EDUO 9524 will help teachers integrate writing into their math curriculum. Doing so will help move their curriculum more inline with the new standards as well as significantly improve student learning.
After completing the course Learning Math in Groups, you will demonstrate or indicate:
- The benefits to both students and teachers of having students write about their previous math
- How writing can assist math instruction by helping children make sense of mathematics and by helping
teachers understand what children are learning
- Knowledge of many types of writing assignments that can be incorporated into the math curriculum
- How to introduce and implement writing into your math curriculum
K-12 School Psychologist 20+ years. Collegiate Professional Development Coordinator, Developer, and Instructor 16+. "I take pride in helping educators enhance student learning while bringing passion into their classrooms." Ryan loves spending time with family and friends, especially outdoors. His favorite activities include snowboarding, golf, and hiking.